Wednesday, June 4, 2008

our last wednesday homeschooling here

today is monumental in my eyes.
Jonam finished his work for The Swiss Family Robinson yesterday and Evan has a few chapters left until he can make the same claim to fame. Jonam also managed to complete the Saxon 7/6 book and got halfway through the 8/7 as well. Evan was on lesson 75 before Christmas break and is now on lesson 88 or maybe 89. Blame it on his mother. I remember very clearly, standing in the office of the guidance counsellor in grade 10, listening to him drone on about the importance of higher maths and all the career opportunities I would kiss goodbye if I quit like I was asking to do. The chart on the wall actually listed these careers in a red and white spiral ... kind of like a toilet being flushed. Didn't care. Math wasn't my thing and it still isn't. Some days that makes me feel dumb, but mostly not. Dreary days seem to bring it on. Must be because they remind me of math.

anyway ...

Geography was fun this year
and I believe our children are not quite as challenged in the terra firma area as in previous years, but since we are moving overseas in a matter of a month, whatever we just soaked in is likely to be sweated out. That's ok. I can cross it off the learning list just the same.

Tomorrow I have one more planning meeting for the annual Art in the Park. This year we kicked out all the people who like to sit along the sidewalk smoking and selling used Benny Hinn cassettes and other paraphenalia that is supposedly effective for smoking cessation. We also vetoed the man who likes to sell his used Dinky Car collection. Now, before a riot breaks out, let us recall the name of the event:
ART in the Park, not garage sale in the park. Never the twain shall meet. I am sad that I won't be there as well, since I am excited to see what we have accomplished over the months that we have been meeting.
After the meeting, we go to a good friend's place for a hang-out session, then the boys are off to town for a dart gun party.

I get two wonderful hours to myself, in a coffee shop, finishing up my latest study guide (Tom's Midnight Garden) to submit to The Old Schoolhouse Store then it will be time to meet Neal at work for a date, until the boys are ready to be picked up again around 9.

b.l.i.s.s.

No comments: