Wednesday, March 11, 2009

fairy tale wedding


ok, let me first state that the ONLY thing I was truly hoping to accomplish at my wedding was the 'man and wife' part:

The Impressive Clergyman: So tweasure your wuv.
Prince Humperdinck: Skip to the end.
The Impressive Clergyman: Have you the wing?
[cut to the trio once more]
The Impressive Clergyman: ...and do you,Pwincess Buwwercup...
Prince Humperdinck: Man and wife. Say man and wife.
The Impressive Clergyman: Man an' wife.

the decorations were a partial gift from a cousin's wife (who is, sadly, no longer a part of the family and I loved her a lot) and were fantastic. we got married over Christmas break, because I just love Christmas and thought the huge tree, no matter how tacky, at the front of the church would be the perfect backdrop. In that I was not disappointed.

the music was lovely since my parents thought I needed the string quartet. I remember being left a cassette tape and all the available songs were recorded on it. all we had to do was choose the few my Pastor approved of. see, he had a list too. *sigh* at the time, though, quite honestly, I did not care one lick. I knew Neal and was convinced that he was THE ONE. we really hadn't known each other for long but sometimes there are things that simply resonate with every fibre of your being ... kind of like the girl who set this contest up and her fantabulous guy. you know what I mean.

so I chose pachabel's cannon for my entrance. my dad kept quietly telling me not to run down the isle. I was nervous. wish I was better at being the centre of attention but unless I am on stage, I don't like all eyes on me. then it was the 23rd Psalm for the song to be played while we stood forever at the front of the church. there were 8 verses or something equally ridiculous. I had my legs completely braced under my massive dress in some kind of half squatting stance. they were forever quivering and I needed to be sure I wasn't going down. I think I also had a death lock on Neal's arm. I swear he never moved even one inch during the whole thing, until he was allowed to kiss me. and, no, it was so not the first kiss for us but every bit as sweet as I imagined it would be. everything else was too minimal it seemed. my dad also thought I needed the limousine ride. for that, looking back, I am very thankful. one of my favourite wedding photos is inside that vehicle. I look very excited; Neal looks like he can't wait for the 'honeymoon'. I knew there was a whole cheesecake awaiting us at our new home and ALL THOSE GIFTIES! clearly on different wavelengths.

I would so do the whole thing over again if it seemed appropriate. smaller, quieter, better food (a whole other post), real drinks, real music but still live and a more confident, less nervous bride.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you do it again, I'll come too... OK?

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

And if you do it again, can I be your maid of honor? I'll wear my jean shorts, 'kay?
I heart you!

Anonymous said...

Everyone wants a fairy-tale wedding - that's because it's one of the most important days of our lives. It signifies a new beginning with someone you're going to share the rest of your life with, a day where all the dreams, new hopes will unravel before you....and all in one single day. Planning a wedding can take a toll on the couple and if you don't pre-plan things ahead of time...
http://graceslimo.com/weddinglimousine.html