Thursday, June 10, 2010

... and they will become one flesh

The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.

I was outside this morning, weeding and mulching in an attempt to beautify the overgrown, crowded mess that is my garden.

Lots of places are conducive to deep thoughts and my garden happens to be one of them.

Most of the time it's a subconscious thing.
I don't walk to my garden specifically because I hope to take from the well of deep; it just happens.

Like dreaming.

My poppies are in full bloom at the moment and their stunning presence started my train of thought. Red poppies symbolize the subconscious, sleep and death but also the promise of ressurection. I didn't know that. It got me thinking about the garden of Eden. More specifically, my thoughts centered around Eve.

Why, I wondered, when she had everything else at her fingertips, did she insist on eating that apple?
Why did it hold such intense appeal for her?

The account in the book of Genesis is, to me, honestly, quite boring and non-descript.
No flowery adjectives, no lengthy discourse on the quality of the fruit. Not even a hint at Eve having considered the tree much at all before the more crafty than any of the wild animals came along and suggested it.

It simply states: When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it

why?

Was it the brightest colour, the most fragrant or the perfect shape?
And, after she made the decision to literally take hold of it, did she have instant regret? Any doubts? Second thoughts?

Did she hope, in the depth of her heart, that she would be found out ... before?
Had she wanted someone to stop her?
Did she really not know what she was doing, like an emotional disconnect?

that taste
that first bite

Was it even sweet?
Was it everything she argued with herself that it would be?
Was it the jusiest?
the most moist?
Was there any pleasure at all, in the end?
Did it even satiate?

Or was it sour, turning her stomach ever so slightly; that single choice lingering on the tip of her tongue, haunting her for the rest of her life?


so many questions I'm dying to ask
am I moving too slow?,
am I going too fast?
don't wanna miss it
when it walks through my door
will it look like I want it
will it leave me wanting more ...



2 comments:

Mummo said...

awesome... much "Food" for thought

The dB family said...

I've asked many of those same questions myself. Great post!

Blessings!
Deborah