Monday, November 29, 2010

in my field ... which is not always " in left field"

today's prompt poses some difficulty as I do not "work" in only one field.  many would still contest that I do not actually "work" much at all.  a part time just above minimum wage job is, for many, something that doesn't count.  my tutoring, though it pays well, is also something that somehow doesn't make the record as a "real job" on the registry of those who leave the house, drive to a specific building, and sit at a desk for 8 - 9 hours then drive back home.
my educational therapy still requires many sentences of explanation whenever it comes up in conversation so, though that pays well also, I'm not convinced it is completely on the radar either.
well, it is for me.
and I have, seriously, been feeling like I'm having to schedule in time just to breathe in between all the shifts I'm working here, there and everywhere.

so the question of the day took me a few seconds to ponder before I came up with my first answer:

If you could have worked for anyone in history, in your field, who would you choose and why?

I'm not going to get theological, spiritual or even conversational about my choice. I'm just going to accept that, today, it was the first thing that came to my mind and so it must be.  The idea of having an opportunity to witness the inner trappings of a man who could write something so intensely personal yet widely understood intrigues me immensely.  I have not known the grief and sorrow of death like he experienced, but I have certainly had my share of deep sadness, loss and pain in my short life.  I try not to dwell on the individual and varied circumstances too often, but every once in a while, I believe, God sends remembrances lest I forget how strong and powerful and infinitely loving He is. 

and not just to me.

If I could have worked for anyone, it would have been Horatio G. Spafford (1828-1888).  I think it truly would have been good for my soul.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Je veux juste dire que c'est un super blog vous êtes arrivé ici! J'ai fait le tour de pas mal de temps, mais a finalement décidé de montrer mon appréciation de votre travail! Thumbs up, et continuer!