Friday, November 10, 2006

William Wilberforce on Parenting

Beware Before It Is Too Late: William Wilberforce on Parenting
By David John Steel Jr., Phd
Parenting and education have an important thing in common: they involve soul work. They both must be seen as spiritual formation. Many think that spiritual formation is a specifically Christian activity. It is not. As essentially spiritual beings, all hearts are in the process of being formed--either toward Jesus or toward someone else. It is not a "Christian" process but a human process. Dallas Willard writes, "Terrorists as well as saints are the outcome of spiritual formation. Their spirits or hearts have been formed."



I could not have said this better myself ...

In this journey I am on I am learning so much more than I ever imagined I would, or could ( or, unfortunately, needed to ).

I wish more parents took the time to kneel before the Lord and ask those hard questions about being an example and how to parent well and how to change those areas that have our feet "cemented in".

I know change is not easy ... neither is self-reflection, but it must be done, and done on a regular basis.



I just began reading the Boundaries book and discovered that I am a Compliant. I have struggled with false guilt for much of my life. Add to that the revelation from Growing Kids that I have a prohibitive conscience and you are reading the words of a woman who has a lot of work to do!

continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. phil2:13



read the whole article here: http://www.tosmagazine.com/newsletters/devotional/11-06/11-06.php