Friday, March 2, 2007

the day I was "caught"

was taking a trip down memory lane the other day, for some reason, and found myself remembering the day I got caught by my youngest in a half-truth. What I had been saying to my boys for years was innocent enough, and something many a parent has jokingly uttered more for their own amusement than for the child's.

so ... picture it if you can. I am in my kitchen (there have been quite a number of them, so I cannot recall the exact one) standing in front of the stove, stirring something. More by sense than seeing, I can tell that my youngest child is standing behind me, holding up a piece of paper. I wait for words, but none come. Finally, I speak:

what are you doing, honey?

hmmmmm (child, revelation hitting)

what is it? ... child responds: I thought you said you had eyes on the back of your head ...

I have since learned to stress the things about me that are actual fact; it's much safer.

No comments: