Thursday, April 19, 2007

Is God Safe?

The latest plan of the RCMP:

The RCMP is gathering aerial photographs and blueprints of thousands of schools and universities across Canada as part of its plan for responding to school shootings, unveiled Thursday.  You can read the rest of the article here.

It reminds me of the preciousness of peace.  Last night, as soon as my husband turned  out the light above our bed, our little kitten crawled over to my neck and snuggled in for the night.  I had no choice but to curl my right arm around his fuzzy, warm body thinking all the while that I was like the wee child sleeping with her beloved stuffed teddy bear for comfort.  Then my thoughts moved to the wonderful man already asleep beside me (how come he falls asleep so quickly?) and how I appreciate the nights he is home to turn off the lights and lock up the house for us.  I love his concern over our home and our little family.  He makes me feel secure. 

I am thankful that the RCMP is doing all they can at this time to be prepared for what could happen.   I trust that they will do their utmost to protect us with whatever resources they have, in whatever capacity they can.  I am thankful that the Lord has blessed me with a healthy, strong, competent, hard-working husband that can do his best to offer us his protection; to cover us with prayer whenever we are weak with fear.  I am doing all I can to learn all about this God who holds me captive by His love ... so that even in the darkness, I can trace His path like the steps I know to take in my house in the middle of the night.  I want to know him like the back of my hand.

I know there are people out there who question how I can serve a God who lets innocent people die, as happened in the Virginia tragedy. 

"Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay,' says the Lord" ---  Romans 12:19 NASB 

I am reminded of the Erwin McManus quote "We serve a dangerous God.  His is not safe but He is good."  He doesn't tell people to hate, kill and destroy.  His Spirit grieves when His children suffer.  He weeps when we weep.  I don't have the answers for huge questions like that, but I know He does, and He can handle the asking.

No comments: