Thursday, May 31, 2007

My newest garden bed, part 2

so ... Neal just had to catch me working, in a photograph, so it could be duly noted that I am active.  Here we have the peat moss and a couple of kinds of poop ... right on top of some broken-down cardboard boxes from our local grocery store.  I love that you don't need to dig up the grass or fuss with a rental rototiller. 

The clumps of grass in the bed are Neal's.  I wanted him to take them out.  I thought people might get a mixed message about what to put in a square- foot -garden- no- soil bed.  I guess we have been married long enough that he just chooses to ignore me when it is most convenient.  Ok ... so do I.  (but for those people who need clarity on what goes into a real square foot garden, dried up grass clippings belong in the composter ... not here)



The next add-in is the vermiculite, which has a rather lengthy health risk list.  Not very crunchy sounding, but very tempting to a 10 year old child who, of course, knowing nothing about NOT breathing in the dust, decides to dip his hands into the bag and start sifting.  He heard both of us yell things then.  (all loving, encouraging, up-lifting words, to be sure). 

See Mom work.  See Mom work hard.  (later, see Mom wish she just decided to forfeit the garden and visit the air-conditioned grocery store).



I am still trying to decide if I want to keep that fence you see at the back of the picture, to the left of me.  Whoever built it must have thought that dividing the yard did something, only I have no idea what, except that it divides.  I could maybe build an arbour.  I guess.  If I pull it down, then the backs of the "stone" gardens would just look retarded.  I need to think on it some more.  Neal is out back right now laying out a wooden "map", if you will, on the top of the "soil" so we can do the whole plant- per- foot deal.  Guess this is mostly all we are doing these days.  I have bronchitis and my sinuses are toast.  School is tres relaxed ... but Mom finally learned how to barbeque this week, so I am a happy student of the grill now. I must admit that I kind of burnt the rotdogs for lunch but considering what they are made of I don't think it really matters much.

No comments: