Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook


FOR TODAY... Monday, August 18

Outside My Window... two of three mountains clearly visible, telling me it shouldn't rain this morning; flowers I have yet to identify.

I am thinking... I am glad I slept in this morning as internet is working well while the others are all at church (and no I don't feel guilty. I had a horrible sleep two nights in a row)

I am thankful for... Nationals who always take the time. Today mama bilong Gabby makem me greased rice. Em good pella teacher, tru.

From the kitchen... Likely another cockroach or a hoard of ants but I am ten feet away and so claiming that ignorance is bliss.

I am wearing... striped pj bottoms that are actually long enough and a couple of tank tops. I haven't gotten dressed yet. I will be wearing a traditional meri blouse and laplap long youmi go walkabout.

I am creating... a novel. Can you believe it? I told my High School students that I was going to participate right along side them with Learn to Write the Novel Way. I think I am insane.

I am going... to shower when finished this.

I am reading... The Cay by Theodore Taylor, Torches of Joy by , Red Sand, Blue Sky by Cathy Applegate, The Jacaranda Dictionary and Grammar of Melanesian Pidgin, A New Course in Tok Pisin, Families on the Move by Marian Knell and 17 proposals for my novel class.

I am hoping... to learn Tok Pisin well so I can communicate with the Nationals all around me.

I am hearing... coconut oil palms gently swaying in the breeze. Sometimes I think it is rain; the leaves are so large. I also hear the occasional Willy Wagtail. Soon it will be the sound of my parent's voices as we try our first Digicel call.

Around the house... Cicadas singing strongly, the hum of an overhead aircraft, National children yelling to each other, the whir of the ceiling fans ... it is all about sounds for me today.

One of my favorite things... Being surrounded

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: Daily Malaria prophylaxis, marking a myriad of assignments, teaching my students in a good, old-fashioned one room schoolhouse/homeschool way and loving every minute of it. Going to have a special meri blouse made "Moning, Dawnmaris ... emi alright you makim one pella meri blouse bilong me?"

Here is picture thought I am sharing... this option isn't working for me at the moment ... and it isn't Monday quite yet, just so you know.


http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

You, two days in a row! What bliss!