Tuesday, May 8, 2007

How to Know When to Move On, or The Value of Fill-in-the-Blanks

So ... we are a bunch of very relaxed ecclectic charlottemason unschoolers that sometimes purchase dumb fill in the blank books so that something looks like it is getting done type homeschoolers. 

I sat down this afternoon to actually take a look at my youngest son's Abeka Language workbook (don't ask too much ... it really seemed like a good idea at the time because I could assign a bunch of pages and then go off and play Zuma or talk on the phone).  I wish I was kidding.

Anyway, before I even really read the assignment he had completed I found myself writing "fun!" on the page in a slanted real teacher sort of way.  Then I had a novel thought ... maybe it would be nice if I didn't just do everything orally and took some time to read what he wrote.  I hope you enjoy this slice of Campbell pie because it sums us up pretty well.

ACTUAL STUDENT WORK (no children were harmed in the making of this post)

          While travelling   throughout, I met an interesting gentleman in a brown suitcase.  I asked him to tell me about himself.  His story was most unusual.  As a child, he grew up underneath a trailer and never went to the bathroom.  He was the last on his mother's side.  His father worked as a taxidriver and his mother made extra money at the shoestore.  In a barrel, he decided he should earn a living, too.  A man who worked at a toilet store offered to teach him his trade.  Up until then, he wanted a change of trade.  He then devoted his life to constipationHe wrote a book about it.  After that, I learned the value of fibre. 

No comments: