Tuesday, April 22, 2008

borrowing from and for the bard

Today marks the 444th birthday of Shakespeare, and if you haven't figured it out by now, he is one of my favourite writers.

This I found while surfing for information for my latest literature study guide and think it is just about the cutest thing I have stumbled upon in almost forever. Made me want to knit one, but I am too preoccupied with other ventures at the moment. So, I pass on the link for a delectible distraction ... the picture of the wee Prince is worth it alone. Pericles, Prince of Persia? Young King Lear? You decide.

While I am at it, why not give you a pattern for a delightful daffodil crown for your wee princess?

Last but certainly not least, be sure to visit this site and hear a satisfying story-telling of Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Don't forget to read this great article about the the writer himself and how to approach the "to be or not to be" question.

and, from my dearest 'mum' comes this addition; the Hokey Pokey,

Shakespearean Style

O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke.
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from heaven's yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke - banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say 'tis what it's all about.