Sunday, October 5, 2008

sunday spiritual

I have been thinking a lot about an article I read recently on "worm theology" it seems to explain much that I was unable to put to words on my own. I love when that happens.
this article appeared on crosswalk.com (you can probably find it in the archives) and it really took me by storm. To quote the authour:
The apostle Paul wrote that we shouldn’t think more about ourselves than we ought; rather, we should use “sober judgment” in our self-assessment (Romans 12:3). Sober judgment means being realistic. It doesn’t mean we should pretend we don’t have gifts when we do, or that we should pretend we have talents, gifts, and abilities when we don’t. Paul is telling us to be honest and realistic, not to despise ourselves.
C.S. Lewis also commented on the very same thing, only in a different period of time.
We may be content to remain what we call “ordinary people”: but He is determined to carry out a quite different plan. To shrink back from that plan is not humility: it is laziness and cowardice. To submit to it is not conceit or megalomania; it is obedience.
there is little I can say which would add to the truths above except that I agree, wholeheartedly. I can only hope that my life is a reflection of it, and that I can teach it to my children.

No comments: